Related Sites
Related Sites
Health insurance

In Germany health insurance is compulsory, all foreign researchers and their family members need a travel health insurance when applying for a visa for Germany.
You are not allowed to enter Germany without a health insurance!

If you intend to stay longer than three months, you must have a comprehensive health insurance. In this case we recommend that you contact a German health insurance company before entering Germany so that the relecant risks are covered from your first day in Germany.

There are two different types of health insurances in Germany. It depends on your status at your institute:
Research stay based on an employment contract:

Depending on the kind of contract and your income you have to take the German statutory health insurance or a private insurance.
There are various insurance companies, below can find a list of statutory health insurances with branches in Greifswald.

Research stay based on a fellowship

You have to take private insurance cover. Some insurances offer special rates for fellows. For further information please check the lists below.

More Information is also provided by the internet portal of EURAXESS and the Welcome Centre Greifswald.