Related Sites
Related Sites
Local Registration Office

In Gemany it is mandatory for everyone, including German citizens, to register with the Local Registration Office.

You must register within one week of your arrival in Germany. Only then you will be able to apply for a permit of residence from the Local Immigration Office.

The following documents are required:

- Valid Passport

- "Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung" - a document issued by your landlord as a proof of your place of living

- If you have lived in Germany before, the residency permit of the place where you have lived. Additionally a "Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung" of your former landlord in Germany.

- If you are travelling with your family you should also take your family member's passports, marriage certificate and your children's birth certificates and passports. Other relevant family documentation, such as adoption papers, should be taken also.
Please make sure that you have these documents for each member of your family!

In the local residency office you will be given the
- registration certificate (to apply for a residence permit)
- you can also apply for a certificate of good conduct which often is demanded by employers (charge: € 18,-)

After registering at the Local Residency Office you have to apply for a residence permit at the Local Immigration Office.

EU and EEA Citizens don't need a "Certificate of Freedom of Movement" from the Local Immigration Office anymore. The proof of your right that you live in Germany as an EU or EEA citizen is the registration certificate (Meldebestätigung) that you receive when registering at the Local Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) in Greifswald.