Related Sites
Related Sites
Partners and spouses

As mentioned above, the "Rules of free movement of workers" give every EU citizen (employer, spouse, children) the right to live, work, to look for a job and to retire in any Member State for the EU. This applies also for citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. (There are still restrictions concerning citizens of EU member who joined the EU in 2004).

For non-EU citizens rules apply.


Every accompanying person has to apply for a seperate visa. For details please check the pages “Visa for foreign researchers”.

Work Permit

For accompanying spouses it is essential to apply for a work permit BEFORE entering Germany. It is not possible to apply for a working permit after entering Germany.